Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Wednesday's Wedded Bliss

I did a little brain storming with my wife yesterday to come up with content for Wednesday's "Wedded Bliss" series. I think we've got some good stuff coming up for the next couple of weeks. The plan is to make it applicable to people who are dating too, but sometimes it just won't be. Sorry. The other good news is that my wife has agreed to throw in her two cents every now and then. So for those of you who are sick of me, there is hope.

To begin, I wanted to define marriage and how we approach it and will continue to approach it in this blog. Marriage, to us, is a commitment between a man and a woman, for life, in which both agree to leave their old lives behind and commit to becoming a new, unified creation. I am not addressing any gay/lesbian rights in this post, nor am I trying to make any judgement calls. This is simply our approach to marriage and where we will start from when we talk about marriage.

We use the term "leave and cleave" a lot in our house. It is used to indicate that we are leaving our old lives behind, we are leaving the care of our parents, we are leaving our "single" desires behind, and we are committing to being joined to each other. We are committing to developing a unified sense of purpose, creating a new family, and pursuing a life together. Whereas, before marriage, we were two people on parallel roads, we are now two people whose paths have merged and are now traveling the same road, hand in hand.

Life is better when you have someone to share it with.

No comments:

Post a Comment